1. First up is a fact that may surprise many people. Do you think that Las Vegas is the gambling capital of the world? Many of us probably do, after all it’s portrayed in countless films and TV shows as the mecca of gambling and casinos. However, you would be mistaken to assume this. Macau is in fact the worlds biggest hot spot for gambling. You might even be asking where it is and why you’ve never heard of it. Well, it’s a short tip on the boat from Hong Kong and is a gamblers paradise. It’s well known throughout Asia but is given little attention by the media is the western world.
2. The worlds biggest land based bricks and mortar casino is the Venetian in Macau. It’s also the biggest building in Asia and the fifth biggest in the whole world. It certainly isn’t cheap to stay at though and don’t get your laundry done there if you do, you might find yourself unexpectedly hit with a bill of a couple hundred pounds for a couple of shirts and trousers. Not pleasant!
3. The Earl of Sandwich, John Montagu, who first came up with the idea of putting a couple of slices of bread together and filling it with something in between did so as he couldn’t be bothered to leave the casino table to go get some food, either that or he was just so hooked he couldn’t pull himself away from the action – we’ve all been there . . . possibly . . . no, only me then!
4. The biggest ever slots win came from the popular progressive jackpot slot Mega Moolah in 2015. £13,209,300 was won by John Haywood from the UK. It stands as a Guinness World Record and is likely to be there for a while.
5. The biggest slots jackpots are usually won by people playing for the first time on the minimum bet possible – usually around the 30p mark. Just like this guy. Makes my blood boil, the lucky so and so . . .
6. Although Monte Carlo is famed for its casinos, the locals aren’t actually allowed in them. Probably for the best if truth be told!
7. The first real money wagering at an online casino was in 1996 at Inter Casino. They offered just under 20 different games to play and oddly enough also gave players access to the Indian National Lottery, the reason for which we have no idea, please leave a comment if you know!
8. It is reported that Richard Nixon, the 37th President of the United States funded his election campaign with money he had won from playing poker or some other card cards, we don’t know which. Better than funding your election campaign with daddies money like a certain Mr Trump.
9. Roulette machines are the most addictive form of gambling. They are known as the crack cocaine of gambling in the UK. We’ve seen many people throw away a months wages in 10 minutes flat. Stay away from them or you’re asking for trouble.